THEN: The Alhambra Theatre is located at 2330 Polk Street. The theatre opened on 5 November 1926; it has two distinctive Moorish minarets which make it a landmark in the Polk Gulch neighborhood of San Francisco. This picture was taken in 1926.
THEN: In 1848, Orson Squire Fowler claimed that an octagon house was the most efficient shape for a home since it enclosed more space with less material, it provided more light, and was more efficient to heat in the winter and cool in the summer. Several thousand octagon houses were built in the United States and Canada; two survive in San Francisco. This house was constructed by William C. McElroy in 1861 and is now located at 2645 Gough Street. The house was initially built across the street from its present location. It was a private residence until the 1920s. By 1951 the house was abandoned and in terrible condition. The National Society of the Colonial Dames of America purchased the building for one dollar and moved it across the street onto donated land. This picture was taken in 1952.
NOW: The house is San Francisco Landmark #17 and National Register No. 72000250. Click Here to see the location of the octagon house on a map.
THEN: The San Francisco Great Earthquake and Fire occurred on 18 April 1906. The Flood Building was damaged by the earthquake and fire but survived the calamity due to its steel frame construction and brick exterior walls covered in sandstone.
THEN: This photo of the Flood Building was taken approximately two to three months after the earthquake and fire. A Market Street Cable Railway cable car is traveling outbound on Market Street. The Ferry Building can be seen in the distance.
THEN: William Bowers Bourn II was born in San Francisco in 1857. He became a very successful and extremely wealthy entrepreneur. In 1896, he commissioned Willis Polk to design this 27-room mansion at 2550 Webster Street. Polk also designed Filoli, Bourn's magnificent estate in the city of Woodside on the San Francisco Peninsula. 2550 Webster Street is San Francisco Landmark #38. The date of this photograph is unknown.
NOW: 2550 Webster Street has had a bizarre history. The mansion was eventually sold at auction in 2010. Click Here to see the location of the Bourn Mansion on a map.
NOW: The house was built around 1886 for William Haas, a prominent businessman in early San Francisco. He was born in Bavaria and came to the United States in the 1870s. His daughter, Alice, married Samuel Lilienthal. The Lilienthal family lived in the home from 1917 to 1972, when Alice passed away. San Francisco Landmark #69, National Register #73000438. Click Here to see the location of the Haas-Lilienthal House on a map.
THEN: Henry Casebolt came to San Francisco in 1851. He arrived from Virginia with his wife and their eleven children. He manufactured horsecars and grip mechanisms for cable cars., He opened his carriage factory in the Cow Hollow section of San Francisco. In 1865 Pierce Street was a country road; it was here that he decided to build this Italianate manor house at 2727 Pierce Street in the Pacific Heights area of San Francisco in 1865. The house is 5,875 square feet, it has seven bedrooms and four bathrooms. He sold the house in 1851; the property remains a private residence. It sold in December 1973 for $155,000. The date of this photograph is unknown.
NOW: Dr. Emma Sutro was one of seven children born to Adolph Sutro and his wife, Leah Harris. She was the oldest daughter. Adolph Sutro purchased this Victorian mansion from R.B Dallam for his daughter Emma and her husband Dr. George Merritt. Adolph Sutro died on 8 August 1898 at the age of 68. His daughter Emma was named as the executor of his estate. It took ten years for his estate to be settled. Click Here to see the location of the Dallam-Merritt House on a map. National Register #84001185
THEN: This is the grand opening day of the Ingleside Race Track: 28 November 1895. This image is courtesy of FoundSF. The last horse race was on 30 December 1905. The track served as a camp for many San Franciscans after the 1906 earthquake and fire. The track also hosted patients from Laguna Honda Hospital as the hospital recovered from the quake. In 1910 Joseph A. Leonard (1849-1929), after building hundreds of homes in Berkeley and Alameda, purchased the land used by the racetrack and created Ingleside Terraces.
THEN: Horse racing on the one-mile track. This image is courtesy of FoundSF. This picture is circa 1895.
THEN: The car racetrack and the grandstand. This image is courtesy of OpenSFHistory. This picture is circa 1905.
THEN: The racetrack's clubhouse and grandstand. This image is courtesy of FoundSF. This picture is circa 1900.
THEN: The horse racing and car racing days are now over at the track. A sundial was built in the middle of the former track, and prospective home buyers are being given a tour of the area, now known as Ingleside Terraces. This picture is circa 1914. This image is courtesy of OpenSFHistory.
NOW: The location of the former racetrack as seen on an aerial map of Ingleside Terraces. The one-mile track now is named Urbano Drive. The location of the sundial is noted on this aerial map.
THEN: The sundial is located in the new and developing Ingleside Terraces neighborhood. This image is courtesy of OpenSFHistory. This picture is circa 1913.
NOW: The building is one of the few remaining lavish motorcar company buildings on Van Ness Avenue's automobile row. The building is currently occupied by a real estate company and a bank. Click Here to see the location of the Paige Motorcar Company on a map.
NOW: This is a view looking east from the top of Russian Hill. Ahead is Yerba Buena Island and the western span of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge. The summit of Mount Diablo is visible in the distance. Click Here to see the top of Russian Hill on a map.