29 October 2019
Jacques Tissot was born on 15 October 1836 in Nantes, a city located near the Loire River in western France. He died in Doubs, France on 8 August 1902.
Below are some photographs that were taken when I visited the Legion of Honor to view Jacques Tissot's captivating and beguiling paintings. His paintings can be seen at the Legion of Honor through 9 February 2020.
23 October 2019
The Bernal Cut established a shorter train route into and out of San Francisco; it was carved from the hills between Mission Street and Randall Street and San Jose Avenue and St. Mary’s Avenue. The San Francisco & San Jose Railroad, which commenced operations in 1863, traveled on the San Francisco peninsula between San Jose and San Francisco. A small part of the train's route was via the Bernal Cut. The San Francisco & San Jose Railroad became a part of the Southern Pacific Railroad in 1870.
Click on an image to view the full-size photograph.
This is a view of the Bernal Cut looking south as seen from the Highland Avenue Bridge. Ahead is the Richland Avenue Bridge and beyond the bridge is the Glen Park neighborhood. Muni streetcar #1008 is traveling inbound towards downtown San Francisco. The streetcar was built for the San Francisco Municipal Railway by the St. Louis Car Co. in 1948.
A map of San Francisco showing the location of the Bernal Cut.
This Muni Metro J-Church light rail streetcar is in the Bernal Cut and heading north. Ahead is the Richmond Avenue Bridge and in the distance is the Highland Avenue Bridge. The view is looking north.
A view of the Bernal Cut as seen in 1922. The picture was taken from the Richland Avenue Bridge. Ahead is the Highland Avenue Bridge. The view is looking north.
A Southern Pacific steam train is in the Bernal Cut and traveling south under the Richland Avenue Bridge. This picture is circa 1912.
The Bernal Cut as seen in 1922. This picture was taken from the Richland Avenue Bridge and the Glen Park neighborhood is ahead. The view is looking south.
The Bernal Cut as seen from the Highland Avenue Bridge. Downtown San Francisco is visible ahead. This view is looking north.
This photograph, taken in the 1940s, shows the train line just beyond the northern end of the Bernal Cut. The train line is going thru Noe Valley and crossing Dolores Street at 27th Street.
This is a view of the intersection of San Jose Avenue and Dolores Street; streetcar tracks are visible. Downtown San Francisco can be seen in the distance.
Juri Commons is located in the Mission District between Guerrero Street and San Jose Avenue. It was originally the location of a small portion of the railroad line used by the San Francisco & San Jose Railroad. From 1864 to 1906 the San Francisco & San Jose Railroad was one of California's first inter-city rail links. A $2.50 ticket for a trip between the two cities brought passengers through the Mission District. After the 1906 earthquake, new tracks were built along the Bayshore replacing the Mission route and the Mission route tracks were removed. In 1976 this old train passageway became a park. It is 120' long and 25' wide, and it contains a few benches and a compact children's playground.
Then This railroad bridge crossed Dolores Street at 27th Street. The original San Francisco railway terminal was located nearby at 18th Street and Valencia Street. The photo is circa 1937.
Now The train line was relocated after the 1906 earthquake, and the bridge was eventually removed.
A red-shouldered hawk is viewing its surroundings from the roof of a house sited at the top of the Bernal Cut.
The hawk is now in flight.
06 October 2019
Click on an image to view the full-size photograph.
This street fountain is located in the St. Francis Wood neighborhood on Saint Francis Boulevard at Santa Ana Avenue.
A view of the West Portal Streetcar Station.
Both an inbound streetcar and an outbound streetcar are at the West Portal Streetcar Station. The West Portal station of the Twin Peaks Tunnel is always busy. There are four different muni metro streetcar lines that use the Twin Peak Tunnel: The K Ingleside, The L Taraval, the M Ocean View, and the T Third Street.
The West Portal Streetcar Station is the western terminus of the 2.27-mile long Twin-Peaks Tunnel. Construction of the Twin-Peaks Tunnel began during December 1914; the tunnel was open for revenue service on 3 February 1918.
A portion of the West Portal shopping area.
This house is located on Santa Clara Avenue, in the St. Francis Wood neighborhood.
This is a view of the Interstate 280 roadway as seen from the Baden Street crossover. The view is looking southwest.
On Mission Street in the Mission District.
A map of the 5.8-mile route. Data gathered by a GPS receiver.
22 September 2019
Click on an image to see the full-size photograph.
An eating area in the Cliff House.
A view of the Cliff House as seen from Point Lobos Avenue.
Then A picture of the second version of the Cliff House, as seen from Sutro Heights, circa 1904.
Then Here is another view of the second version of the Cliff House.
Then The beautiful Cliff House being destroyed by fire on 7 September 1907.
Then A view of the Cliff House as seen from near the intersection of Fulton Street and the Great Highway. This photo was taken by W.C. Billington in 1900.
A view of Ocean Beach looking south, as seen from the Cliff House.
Sand dunes at Ocean Beach.
The San Francisco Fire Department is responding to an incident at Ocean Beach.
Feeding the birds at Ocean Beach. The Cliff House can be seen in the distance.
An N-Judah two-car streetcar turning around at the end of the line on Judah Street at the Great Highway.
Now The site of the Sutro Baths.