|This map illustrates the route traveled, with mile markers shown. The approximate distance traveled, as measured by a GPS receiver, was 10.9 miles. Click on the image to see the full-size map.|
|This graph shows the elevation changes encountered during the ramble. The approximate cumulative elevation gain was 805 feet. Click on the image to see the full-size chart.|
|A view of the Presidio’s Lombard Street gate. The picture was taken during World War II from an apartment building located across the street from the Presidio. The convoy of ambulances traveling to Letterman Army Hospital is a grim reminder of the carnage that was taking place during the war. The hospital treated 73,000 patients from the Pacific Theatre of Operations in 1945 alone.|
|A present day view of the Lombard Street gate. Click on the image to see the full-size photo.|
|A view of the 6th Army Headquarters building. Click on the image to see the full-size photograph.|
|A view of the Presidio Officers’ Club building. Click on the image to see the full-size photo.|
|A view of Moraga Hall, which is located in the Officers’ Club. Click on the image to see the full-size photograph.|
|A photo of Moraga Hall taken in 1934.|
This flagpole has a sad history. The 2¼ ton, 105½ foot flagpole is the tallest in the San Francisco area. The flagpole marks the site where General John J. Pershing (1860-1948) his wife, his three young daughters, and his young son lived in government housing befit a General.
On 13 January 1914, General Pershing took command of the 8th Infantry Brigade at the Presidio of San Francisco. It wasn’t long, however, before tensions along the Mexican border forced the 8th Infantry to be transferred to Fort Bliss, Texas.
|A snippet of an article about the tragedy published by the Chicago Daily Tribune on 28 August 1915.|
|A view of the Golden Gate Bridge as seen from near the Presidio’s Main Parade Ground. The building in the lower portion of the photograph was the post’s main commissary. Click on the image to see the full-size photograph.|
|The Palace of Fine Arts was constructed for the 1915 Panama-Pacific Exposition. The Palace of Fine Arts was designed by the esteemed architect Bernard Maybeck (1862-1957). Professor Maybeck moved to Berkeley, California in 1892, and was a professor at the University of California, Berkeley. Click on the image to see the full-size photo.|
|A detail from the Palace of Fine Arts. Click on the image to see the full-size photograph.|
The entryway to 3460 Baker Street, a private home. It is sited directly east of the Palace of Fine Arts. Click on the image to see the full-size photo.
|It is now late afternoon, and the fog is barreling in through the Golden Gate. The view is looking North. The buildings on the hillside across San Francisco Bay are homes in the community of Sausalito. The mountain directly ahead is majestic Mount Tamalpais (2,572 feet). Click on the image to see the full-size photograph.|
You are welcome to visit my primary website www.mishalov.com