NOW The West Portal Station was reconfigured in the 1970s to accommodate a new streetcar system still in use today. The view is looking north.
|THEN This is the West Portal Station of Twin Peaks Tunnel. The tunnel, which is 2.27 miles in length, became operational on 3 February 1918. This photo was taken in 1922.|
|THEN This photo of West Portal Station was taken in 1935. This image is courtesy of the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency.|
|THEN The Parkside Theatre, located on Taraval Street near Nineteenth Avenue, opened in 1928. This photograph was taken in 1959. This image is courtesy of Tom Gray.|
|NOW The theatre closed in 1988, and the building was converted to apartments and a preschool. Most of the buildings that surrounded the theatre are still standing. The view is looking southeast. |
|NOW The corner building has been demolished, and a bank now occupies a portion of the site. Most of the other buildings still remain. The view is looking northwest.|
|THEN This picture is circa the 1940s; the view is looking west, down Taraval Street.|
|NOW Most of the buildings are still standing. The location is Taraval Street at Twenty-first Avenue. The treed area on the right is a part of McCoppin Square. The Pacific Ocean is visible in the distance.|
|NOW The house is standing amongst many houses on Seventeenth Avenue. The view is looking southeast.|
|THEN This photo was captured in 1898; it is a view of the Sunset District, looking northwest. When this photograph was taken, this area was called the "Outside Lands." It consisted of barren sand dunes, and there is a chicken ranch visible in the photo. This image is courtesy of Bancroft Library.|
|NOW The sand dunes have been leveled, and the ground is now covered with housing. The westerly portion of Golden Gate Park can be seen on the right side of the image. The chicken ranch is now history.|
|THEN This photograph was taken in 1923. The view is looking southeast from Taraval Street at Twenty-seventh Avenue.|
|NOW The building seen in the above 1923 photo is visible in this photograph. It is the fifth building from the corner.|
|THEN This building was constructed in the early Twentieth Century. The building is located on Taraval Street at Thirty-second Avenue, and this view is looking south. This image is courtesy of the Chas and Ada Williams family.|
|NOW This is the same building. It was remodeled and expanded in the 1920s.|
|THEN The Ocean Park Motor Court is located on Forty-sixth Avenue at Sloat Boulevard. It opened for business on 20 April 1937. This image is courtesy of Marc and Vicki Duffett.|
|NOW The motel is still in business; it appears to be well maintained. The view is looking northeast.|
|THEN This is a view of Sloat Boulevard as seen from the Great Highway. In the distance is Mount Davidson. The photograph was taken in 1921.|
|NOW San Francisco Zoo is located in the treed area on the south side of Sloat Boulevard. The view is looking east.|
|THEN This picture was taken in 1927. The Chickery restaurant was located on the Great Highway at Vicente Street. This image is courtesy of Glenn D. Koch.|
|NOW The building still stands, and it is currently being used as an apartment building. The view is looking east.|
|THEN This photo of Ring's Market was taken in 1951. The view is looking south from Taraval Street at Thirty-third Avenue. This image is courtesy of the Western Neighborhoods Project.|
|NOW The building is still standing, minus the tower.|
|THEN This image is circa 1900. The view is looking south from within Golden Gate Park. Mount Sutro is ahead. In 1895 Affiliated Colleges of the University of California received a thirteen-acre building site donated by Adolph Sutro, then-mayor of San Francisco. The early buildings of the college are visible. This image is courtesy of Lorri Ungaretti.|
|NOW The tennis courts are still busy, and the site of Affiliated Colleges is now occupied by the University of California San Francisco Medical Center. This photo was taken on 16 June 2017. The view is looking south.|
|THEN This is the Taraval Police Station. The building was constructed in 1924; it is located on Twenty-fourth Avenue at Taraval Street. This image is courtesy of the San Francisco Police Department.|
|NOW The Taraval Police Station was restored and renovated in 1996. This view is looking southwest. |
The distance traveled was approximately 7.8 miles (12.5 kilometers). The cumulative elevation gain was about 718 feet (219 meters). Mile markers are displayed on the GPS-generated track.
GO HERE to view part one of The Sunset District, Then & Now.
"There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer." Ansel Adams
Question or comment? I may be reached at email@example.com.