Disclaimer: An effort has been made to provide relevant third-party information within this photo blog. The webmaster of this blog does not take credit for that information. Photographs are protected by copyright. Reproduction in whole or part in any form or medium without specific written permission is prohibited. Thank you, Neil Mishalov.
The Bernal Cutestablished a shorter train route into and out of San Francisco; it was carved from the hills between Mission Street and Randall Street and San Jose Avenue and St. Mary’s Avenue. The San Francisco & San Jose Railroad, which commenced operations in 1863, traveled on the San Francisco peninsula between San Jose and San Francisco. A small part of the train's route was via the Bernal Cut. The San Francisco & San Jose Railroad became a part of the Southern Pacific Railroadin 1870.
Click on an image to view the full-size photograph.
A map of San Francisco showing the location of the Bernal Cut.
This Muni Metro J-Church light rail streetcar is in the Bernal Cut and heading north. Ahead is the Richmond Avenue Bridge and in the distance is the Highland Avenue Bridge. The view is looking north.
A view of the Bernal Cut as seen in 1922. The picture was taken from the Richland Avenue Bridge. Ahead is the Highland Avenue Bridge. The view is looking north.
A Southern Pacificsteam train is in the Bernal Cut and traveling south under the Richland Avenue Bridge. This picture is circa 1912.
The Bernal Cut as seen in 1922. This picture was taken from the Richland Avenue Bridge and the Glen Park neighborhood is ahead. The view is looking south.
The Bernal Cut as seen from the Highland Avenue Bridge. Downtown San Francisco is visible ahead. This view is looking north.
This photograph, taken in the 1940s, shows the train line just beyond the northern end of the Bernal Cut. The train line is going thru Noe Valley and crossing Dolores Street at 27th Street.
This is a view of the intersection of San Jose Avenue and Dolores Street; streetcar tracks are visible. Downtown San Francisco can be seen in the distance.
Juri Commonsis located in the Mission District between Guerrero Street and San Jose Avenue. It was originally the location of a small portion of the railroad line used by the San Francisco & San Jose Railroad. From 1864 to 1906 the San Francisco & San Jose Railroad was one of California's first inter-city rail links. A $2.50 ticket for a trip between the two cities brought passengers through the Mission District. After the 1906 earthquake, new tracks were built along the Bayshore replacing the Mission route and the Mission route tracks were removed. In 1976 this old train passageway became a park. It is 120' long and 25' wide, and it contains a few benches and a compact children's playground.
Then This railroad bridge crossed Dolores Street at 27th Street. The original San Francisco railway terminal was located nearby at 18th Street and Valencia Street. The photo is circa 1937.
Now The train line was relocated after the 1906 earthquake, and the bridge was eventually removed.
A red-shouldered hawk is viewing its surroundings from the roof of a house sited at the top of the Bernal Cut.
And away we go. -----------------------
"A camera is a tool for learning how to see without a camera.” Dorothea Lange
"Photography has not changed since its origin except in its technical aspects, which for me are not important." Henri Carter-Bresson
"There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer." Ansel Adams
The West Portal Streetcar Station is the western terminus of the 2.27-mile long Twin-Peaks Tunnel. Construction of the Twin-Peaks Tunnel began during December 1914; the tunnel was open for revenue service on 3 February 1918.