Saturday, June 10, 2017

The Sunset District, Then & Now - part two: 10 June 2017

This is part two of a gallery of "then & now" photographs of the Sunset District of San Francisco. Part one may be viewed here.


THEN  This is the West Portal Station of Twin Peaks Tunnel. The tunnel, which is  2.27 miles in length, became operational on 3 February 1918. This photo was taken in 1922. Click on the image to see the full-size photograph.

THEN  This photo of West Portal Station was taken in 1935. (Image courtesy of San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency.)


THEN  This photo was taken in 1917. Twin Peaks Tunnel is still under construction, and the work is expected to conclude within a short period of time. This is part of a car convoy consisting of City of San Francisco employees and the people who were involved with the construction of the tunnel. They are having the opportunity of being driven through the tunnel before it goes into service. (Image courtesy of San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency.)


NOW  The West Portal Station was reconfigured in the 1970s to accommodate a new streetcar system that is still in use today. The view is looking north. Click on the image to see the full-size photo.
THEN  The Parkside Theatre, located on Taraval Street near Nineteenth Avenue opened in 1928. This photograph was taken in 1959. (Image courtesy of Tom Gray.) Click on the image to see the full-size photograph.
NOW  The theatre closed in 1988, and the building was converted to apartments and a preschool. Most of the buildings that surrounded the theatre are still standing. The view is looking southeast. Click on the image to see the full-size photo.

THEN  This photo, circa 1940, shows some of the streetcar damage caused by two streetcars colliding at an intersection. The streetcar seen on the right is on the No. 17 line; it is stopped on Twentieth Avenue at Taraval Street. A Safeway market occupied a street front location in the corner building. (Image courtesy of Tom Grey.) Click on the image to see the full-size photograph.

NOW  The corner building has been demolished, and a bank now occupies a portion of the site. Most of the other building still remain. The view is looking northwest. Click on the image to see the full-size photo.
THEN  This picture is circa the 1940s; the view is looking west, down Taraval Street. Click on the image to see the full-size photograph.
NOW  Most of the buildings are still standing. The location is Taraval Street at Twenty-first Avenue. The treed area on the right is a part of McCoppin Square. The Pacific Ocean is visible in the distance. Click on the image to see the full-size photo.
THEN  This photograph was taken in 1915. The house is located on Seventeenth Avenue, near Rivera Street. The horse drawn cart's purpose is identified by "Street Cleaning Department, Board of Public Works" which is painted on the side of the carriage. Click on the image to see the full-size photograph.
NOW  The house is now standing amongst many houses on Seventeenth Avenue. The view is looking southeast. Click on the image to see the full-size photo.
THEN  This photo was captured in 1898; it is a view of the Sunset District, looking northwest. When this photograph was taken, this area was called the "Outside Lands." It consisted of barren sand dunes. There is a chicken ranch visible in the photo. (Image courtesy of Bancroft Library.) Click on the image to see the full-size photograph.
NOW  The sand dunes have been leveled and the ground is now covered with housing. The westerly portion of Golden Gate Park can be seen on the right side of the image. The chicken ranch is now history. Click on the image to see the full-size photo.
THEN  This photograph was taken in 1923. The view is looking southeast from Taraval Street at Twenty-seventh Avenue. Click on the image to see the full-size photograph.
NOW  The building seen in the above 1923 photo is visible in this photograph. It is the fifth building in from the corner. Click on the image to see the full-size photo.
THEN  This building was constructed in the early Twentieth Century. It is located on Taraval Street at Thirty-second Avenue. This view is looking south. (Image courtesy of the Chas and Ada Williams family.) Click on the image to see the full-size photograph.
NOW  This is the same building. It was remodeled and expanded in the 1920s. Click on the image to see the full-size photo.
THEN  The Ocean Park Motor Court is located on Forty-sixth Avenue at Sloat Boulevard. It opened for business on 20 April 1937. (Image courtesy of Marc and Vicki Duffett.) Click on the image to see the full-size photograph.
NOW  The motel is still in business; it appears to be well maintained. The view is looking northeast. Click on the image to see the full-size photo.
THEN  This is a view of Sloat Boulevard as seen from the Great Highway. In the distance is Mount DavidsonThe photograph was taken in 1921. Click on the image to see the full-size photograph.
NOW  San Francisco Zoo is located in the treed area on the south side of Sloat Boulevard. The view is looking east. Click on the image to see the full-size photo.
THEN  This picture was taken in 1927. The Chickery restaurant was located on the Great Highway at Vicente Street. (Image courtesy of Glenn D. Koch.) Click on the image to see the full-size photograph.
NOW  The building still stands, and it is now being used as an apartment building. The view is looking east. Click on the image to see the full-size photo.
THEN  This photo of Ring's Market was taken in 1951. The view is looking south from Taraval Street at Thirty-third Avenue. (Image courtesy of Western Neighborhoods Project.) Click on the image to see the full-size photograph.
NOW  The building is still standing, minus the tower. Click on the image to see the full-size photo.
THEN  This image is circa 1900. The view is looking south from within Golden Gate Park. Mount Sutro is ahead. In 1895 Affiliated Colleges of the University of California received a thirteen-acre building site which was donated by Adolph Sutro, then mayor of San Francisco. The early buildings of the college are visible. (Image courtesy of Lorri Ungaretti.) Click on the image to see the full-size photograph.
NOW  The tennis courts are still busy, and the site of Affiliated Colleges is now occupied by the University of California San Francisco Medical Center. This photo was taken on 16 June 2017. The view is looking south. Click on the image to see the full-size photo.
THEN  This is the Taraval Police Station. The building was constructed in 1924; it is located on Twenty-fourth Avenue at Taraval Street. (Image courtesy of San Francisco Police Department.) Click on the image to see the full-size photograph.
NOW  The Taraval Police Station was restored and renovated in 1996. This view is looking southwest. Click on the image to see the full-size photo.


The distance traveled was approximately 7.8 miles (12.5 kilometers). The cumulative elevation gain was about 718 feet (219 meters). Mile markers are displayed on the GPS generated track. Click on the image to see the full-size map.


GO HERE to view part one of The Sunset District, Then & Now.


“A camera is a tool for learning how to see without a camera.” Dorothea Lang 


San Francisco’s Sunset District (Then and Now)  by Lorri Ungaretti, was helpful in assembling this gallery of "Then and Now" photographs.

The first volume of the San Francisco Bay Area Photo Blog contains galleries of photographs that were posted on the Internet between 2002 and 2011. Click Here to view these photo galleries.

Panasonic GX7 camera body mounted with an Olympus 17mm lens was used to take these photographs.

Question or comment? I may be reached at neil@mishalov.com