|THEN The Little Shamrock Irish Pub is located on Lincoln Way at Ninth Avenue, across the street from Golden Gate Park.|
|THEN Henry Doelger was a prolific builder of houses in the Sunset District. His most active period was during the 1930s. There is a section of the Sunset District known as Doelger City. This building was his main office. The right portion of this office building was built in 1932; the left wing was added in 1940. This image is courtesy of Mark Weinberger and the History Guild of Daly City/Colma.|
|NOW The exterior of the building looks very similar to how it looked seventy-seven years ago. The building is located on the north side of Judah Street, between Eight Avenue and Ninth Avenue. In 2012 the building became San Francisco's historic landmark No. 265.|
|THEN The Loma Prieta earthquake struck on October 17, 1989. This brick apartment building, located on Judah Street at Seventh Avenue, was built in the 1920s. It received severe earthquake damage, and the City of San Francisco disallowed any continued occupancy of the building; the building owner demolished the structure. This image is courtesy of Lorri Ungaretti.|
|NOW This replacement apartment building was constructed in the early 1990s.|
|NOW The apartment building is located at the southeast corner of Ninth Avenue and Kirkham Street. A clothing cleaning store now occupies the commercial space.|
|NOW This is the apartment building that replaced the Irving Theater. Note that the brick building that housed the Safeway market is still standing.|
|THEN This is a photo of a gas station as seen in 1951. It is located on Judah Street at Forty-fifth Avenue. This image is courtesy of the Western Neighborhoods Project.|
|NOW The gas station building is desolate, boarded up, and behind a fence.|
|THEN This photo was taken in 1951. Roth's Drugs occupied this building; it is located on Irving Street at the southeast corner of Twenty-first Avenue. This image is courtesy of the Western Neighborhoods Project.|
|NOW, This is the same building with the tower removed. The building is now occupied by a Bank of the Orient branch.|
|THEN This is a picture of a gas station located on Irving Street. The photograph was taken in the 1940s. The gas station closed in the 1990s.|
|NOW The remains of the gas station are still in place. The location is Irving Street at Sixteenth Avenue.|
NOW The streetcar tracks are gone, and cars now rule Twentieth Avenue. Golden Gate Park is ahead. This photo was taken on June 16, 2017.
|THEN This photo was taken on Noriega Street at Twentieth Avenue in the late 1930s. This building housed a grocery market and a pharmacy. This image is courtesy of John J. Hills.|
|NOW The building is occupied by the East-West Bank.|
|THEN This photo of the Hibernia Bank was taken in 1976. The bank was located on Noriega Street at Twenty-second Avenue. This image is courtesy of the Western Neighborhoods Project.|
THEN This is the interior of the Hibernia Bank. The date is Monday, April 15, 1974; the time is 10:05 a.m. This image is from a security camera located in the bank. The bank is in the process of being robbed. The man and the woman in the picture each hold a short-barreled M1 Carbine rifle. This bank robbery was unusual; the two robbers in this picture are Patty Hearst and Donald DeFreeze. They are both members of the Symbionese Liberation Army, and the S.L.A. is on the offensive. More information about the S.L.A. can be found in the below photo gallery.
NOW Hibernia Bank is no longer in business. The building is now occupied by North East Medical Services.
|THEN This photo was taken in 1951. The building contained a medical/dental business and a drug store on the ground level. This image is courtesy of the Western Neighborhoods Project.|
|NOW A Vietnamese restaurant is located in the building. The site is at the southwest corner of Judah Street and Forty-sixth Avenue.|
|THEN This photo was taken in 1915, and the view looks west. Workers are installing a water pipeline on Irving Street; the Pacific Ocean is the distance.|
NOW This is a view of the location as seen in 2017.
|THEN In 1926, this building was constructed as a movie theater. The Surf Theatre was the third theatre to occupy the building. The Surf Theatre opened in 1957 and closed in 1985. The location is on the north side of Irving Street, just west of forty-sixth Avenue.|
|NOW The old theatre building is now home to the San Francisco Grace Christian Church.|
|THEN Busy Bee Market occupied this building from the 1960s through the 1990s. This image is courtesy of Robert Herbert.|
|NOW Today, the building is occupied by the Mollusk Surf Shop. The location is at the northwest corner of Irving Street and Forty-sixth Avenue. The Pacific Ocean is nearby; the tides and rip currents are dangerous, and the water is frigid. Some resilient surfers live in the area and are always ready to go surfing.|
|THEN This photo was taken in 1926 while workers constructed the turnaround for the new N-Judah streetcar line. The turnaround is being built at the western terminus of Judah Street, a few hundred yards from Ocean Beach and the Pacific Ocean.|
|NOW A two-car N-Judah streetcar is visible and is turning around and traveling to downtown San Francisco. The N-Judah streetcar line is the busiest streetcar route in the city. This picture was taken from a sand dune.|
|The distance traveled was approximately 6.2 miles (10.0 kilometers). The cumulative elevation gain was about 369 feet (112 meters). Mile markers are displayed on the GPS-generated track.|
Patty Hearst and the Symbionese Liberation Army 1973 - 1975
Strange, indeed. Hearst's kidnappers were part of a small group of self-styled revolutionaries called the Symbionese Liberation Army. The group distinguished itself with slogans like "death to the fascist insect that preys upon the life of the people."
Three days after the kidnapping, the S.L.A. announced they were keeping Hearst as a "prisoner of war." They imprisoned her in a small studio apartment at 1827 Golden Gate Avenue in San Francisco.
Patty Hearst issued a series of tape-recorded verbal messages over a few weeks. Among other things, she criticized her family's poor response to the food distribution demand. Eventually, she declared she had joined the revolution and that "I would never choose to live the rest of my life surrounded by pigs like the Hearsts."
|THEN This is 1827 Golden Gate Avenue, San Francisco. This building was a hideout of the Symbionese Liberation Army. Patty Hearst was blindfolded and confined in a closet in apartment #6 for eight weeks.|
|NOW This is 1827 Golden Gate Avenue today. All is now peaceful and quiet. This photo was taken on June 5, 2017|
|NOW This is the view seen from within the entryway to 1827 Golden Gate Avenue. This photo was taken on June 5, 2017.|
"There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer." Ansel Adams
Question or comment? I may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.