31 December 2018
Tiburon Peninsula - Old St. Hilary's Church & Belvedere Island: December 2018
Click on an image to see the full-size photograph.
This is Old St. Hilary's Church. The church was built in 1888 as a place of worship for the local railroad workers, many of whom were Portuguese immigrants. It was constructed with a redwood exterior and interior, and the ceiling was made from Douglas-fir. The church is sited on a hillside with grand views overlooking San Francisco Bay, Belvedere Island, and the Golden Gate. The building is one of the few California examples of buildings created using the Carpenter Gothic style of construction to remain in its original condition and setting. The church was eventually deconsecrated, and it was saved from demolition by the Belvedere-Tiburon Landmarks Society which purchased the building in 1959. This view is looking north.
This is a scene of Old St. Hilary's Church as viewed from the Old St. Hilary's Open Space Preserve. The view is looking south.
This is the entrance to Old St. Hilary's Church.
Here is a map of the southern portion of the Tiburon Peninsula. The 122 acre Old St. Hilary's Open Space Preserve is shown on the map.
NOW This photo was taken from Belvedere Island, and it is looking east towards Tiburon. The undeveloped land seen on the hillside is the Old St. Hilary's Open Space Preserve. A white building is noticeable at the lower right side of the Old St. Hilary's Open Space Preserve. Yes, that is Old St. Hilary's Church.
THEN Old St. Hilary's Church as seen from above Beach Road, Belvedere. The view is looking southeast. Francis Joseph Bruguiere took this picture in 1907.
THEN Old St. Hilary's Church is visible in this photo taken in 1901. The tracks of the Northwestern Pacific Railroad can be seen.
Here is a photograph of Angel Island as seen from the Old St. Hilary's Open Space Preserve. Visible ahead is Hospital Cove. There is a pier sited within the cove and ferry services to Angel Island are available from San Francisco, Sausalito, and Tiburon. The picture is looking south, and San Francisco is visible across San Francisco Bay.
This photo from the Old St. Hilary's Open Space Preserve is looking east across San Franciso Bay. The cities of Richmond, El Cerrito, Kensington, Albany, Berkeley, Emeryville, and the northern part of Oakland are discernable within this photograph.
This photo was taken from the Old St. Hilary's Open Space Preserve. This view is looking northwest, and beautiful Mount Tamalpais overlooks the scene.
Here is a photograph of the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge as seen from the Old St. Hilary's Open Space Preserve. The picture is looking north.
This is a view of the northern boundary of the Old St. Hilary's Open Space Preserve. Housing occupies the hillside.
Here is another view of the northern boundary of the Old St. Hilary's Open Space Preserve.
This view is looking west, and it shows Belvedere, the Golden Gate Bridge, and the Marin Headlands. Belvedere is located 1.5 miles across Richardson Bay from Sausalito. Belvedere is an island located adjacent to the Tiburon Peninsula and is accessible via a short roadway from the city of Tiburon. This picture was taken from Old St. Hilary's Open Space Preserve.
This bucolic scene across Richardson Bay was the site of the World War II Marinship shipbuilding facility. Marinship built a combined total of 93 cargo ships and oil tankers between 1942 and 1945. Two-thousand workers worked 8-hour shifts, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year until the Japanese signed an unconditional surrender on 2 September 1945. This picture was taken from the west side of Belvedere Island.
THEN There are six ships under construction in this picture of the Marinship shipyard. This picture is looking north and it is circa 1944.
NOW This is an overview of the Marinship shipyard location. This picture of the Marinship site was taken from the Marin Headlands, and the view is looking north. This photograph was taken on 31 March 2005.
This photograph was taken from the west side of Belvedere. The view is looking south.
This is a view from Belvedere looking west across Richardson Bay. Sausalito is ahead.
This lovely artwork is at the entryway to a home located on the west side of Belvedere.
This is a photo of the southern portion of the Tiburon Peninsula, it was taken from the east side of Belvedere.
This photograph of Angel Island was taken from the southern side of Belvedere. A Golden Gate Ferry is motoring from Sausalito to the Hospital Cove dock at Angel Island. Angel Island was the site of US military posts for almost 100 years. A partial view of the first US Army camp constructed on Angel Island is visible in this picture. A cove is noticeable to the right of the ferry, with a brick warehouse building detectable at the shoreline. This was the location of Camp Reynolds; the camp was built during the American Civil War.
THEN This photo of Camp Reynolds was taken in 1890. Some of these buildings are still standing. This view is looking southeast. The brick warehouse is not visible in this photograph, it is just out of view on the right side of the photo. The warehouse was a storage facility built adjacent to a pier which was placed in San Francisco Bay.–
"A camera is a tool for learning how to see without a camera.” Dorothea Lang
Posted by Neil Mishalov